Monday, April 1, 2013

Yoga...the sequel

This past Friday, my alarm went off at 6:30.  I fought with myself for about 10 minutes about whether or not I should get up...eventually...and not so happily...I got up and got moving.

I am waking to greet the sun! I thought sarcastically to myself.  Though it was cold this morning, the birds were singing beautifully.  It sounded like Spring...and it lifted my spirits.  It was going to be an amazing day!!

I decided I'd take another stab at Yoga.  I took the DVD out of its case and as I placed it into the DVD player, I instantly got nauseous.  Oh no you don't!  I thought to myself.  You're not getting out of this one that easily!  The house was quiet, I had some time to myself before the chaos of the day began...I HAD to do this!

The Gazelle greeted me "Namaste" she bowed...

"Namaste, Gazelle!" I greeted back....

I closed my eyes and began our "Sun salutation" sequence.  I felt relaxed and ready to do this.  I inhaled deeply, raised my arms and looked to the sun (well....the ceiling actually..) then exhaled and bent forward, lowering my hands to the floor.  As I raised and lowered again, I felt relaxed and confident. I was going to rock this!!

With my eyes closed I moved into "Downward dog" and listened to my deep breaths.....deep inhale, cleansing exhale....good bye sleepiness and stress....goodbye.....

"What are you doing?" ..... Her Royal Highness had emerged.

Welcome back, stress....

"Yoga!  Remember when you and I did it the other day?"

"Yeah..."  she replied as she threw herself onto the couch to be entertained once again by my clumsiness.

"Want to do it with me?"  I asked

"No...I'll watch"  she stated.....

Oh great.....

I continued to follow The Gazelle's lead...stretching....holding....breathing....

contorting.....

"You don't do it the way she does"

Here she goes....

"I don't?"

"No...she does it better than you do.  You aren't doing the same thing she is"

Ok, punk...I thought...

"How about you come down on the floor and do it with me. You can show me how to do it!"   I said.

"I'll just do it here" she said.  And with that, she looked at the TV and easily got into the pose...while on the couch...the squishy, unstable, couch.

Shouldn't she still be asleep?  I wished...

Needless to say, I finished my second round of Yoga without vomiting, but was still shown-up by a four year old.

I'd call that a success.


No comments:

Post a Comment