I decided to go for another shuffle. Since it was relatively warm, I was excited to be able to attempt a truly barefoot shuffle this time...my feet have been anxiously awaiting the feeling of the ground beneath them!
I went to the park and decided I was not going to place any goals on this shuffle...I was just going to go as far as was comfortable...and enjoy the beautiful day.
As soon as my bare feet touched the asphalt parking lot, I felt rejuvenated! I stretched, adjusted my headphones and jacket, set my GPS...and began shuffling.
There were many people on the trails. I shuffled along and received the oh-so-familiar strange looks from passers-by. It is always the same look...the realization that I am, indeed, barefoot while shuffling...the nonchalant nudge-then-point to their walking/running partner....then the look up to my face to see if I am, as they might assume, an alien with one eye and three antennas sticking out of my head. If I am able to catch their eye, I typically smile as I pass...often they look away, but sometimes I get stopped and questioned or a smile in return. It is a reaction I am used to....and I really don't mind it.
But on this day....I purposely wore sunglasses and ear buds....so I had the excuse to ignore the gawkers...
The one great thing about running barefoot is that I have to concentrate on every step I take. The most common question I am asked (aside from "Doesn't that hurt?!" ) is...."Aren't you afraid of stepping on a used needle or broken glass?" The short answer is .... "No"....because A) There typically are no hypodermic needles in the street (or broken glass, for that matter) and B)....I simply watch where I am stepping...it's really that simple.
In fact, my biggest fear is stepping in dog poop....
But anyway....
Having to concentrate on where I am stepping doesn't allow me to obsess about how miserable the rest of my body feels....I can fall into a natural breathing pattern and shuffling pace. The feeling of the asphalt on my bare feet is such an all-consuming feeling, that I just can't feel anything else...
It's really quite wonderful!
As I shuffled along, I breathed deeply....the warm air felt wonderful....I felt strong and energized! I could feel the contrast between the cold shade and the warm sun on the asphalt trail and purposely found a few small puddles to splash through...just for fun.
After about a mile or so, I began to feel myself hunching over and slowing down..."Why are you slowing down and slouching?" my mind shouted..."Stand up!! Breathe deep!! Shake out your hands and shoulders....you are not tired!!....No seriously....feel!!! You AREN'T tired!! Isn't it wonderful!?"
I stood up straight and focused on my body...could this be true? Was I actually feeling strong with a mile already behind me?
I listened to my body.....
I WASN'T tired!! It was a miracle!
No.....
I was my powerhouse!! I just know it!! It paid me a visit...and I relished in its presence....
As I approached the turn around point of my out-and-back course, I had just one more obstacle...a hill. "Don't you dare walk this, Karen!" my now-cocky mind ordered...."You are rockin' this shuffle...show us what ya got!!!"....
so...
I...
jogged!
In fact...I may have sprinted? I don't know! It was fast... and unfamiliar. I was a ninja creeping through the darkness...quietly...swiftly...effortlessly...
Then....
it was difficult....my breathing quickened...inhale sharply two steps, exhale forcefully two steps...cheeks puffing and caving with each breath...I'm pretty sure my heart was on the verge of exploding (at least that's what my body tells me)....
"Keep going!! You're almost there!! Don't stop now, ninja!!!"
My face began to strain with each step...baring my teeth like a wild animal...eyes focused on the finish line...I believe I scared a woman who was stretching at the top of the hill as I ran...a barefoot freak...a ninja....huffing wildly by like a freight train...
I imagine looked something like this.....minus the muscles and the gold chain....
.....and my name's not Oliver.....but I digress.....
At the top of the hill I stopped....panting....sweating....I checked my GPS to check my data.
2.75 miles.....32 minutes
I smiled...had I gone a full 3 miles at my pace, I would have surely beat my 5k time...
I ran back to the parking lot. I put 5.5 glorious miles on my feet that day...
Thanks to my Powerhouse!!

Why the bare feet? Did I miss something? Is this about earthing? I have the book but haven't read it yet. You must have some tough feet to start with.
ReplyDeleteVery interesting.