Saturday, April 27, 2013

There is hope after all!

Today....was a great day :)

I woke up at 8:30 this morning, worked my lower body on my Pilates reformer...
then went for a 7.1 mile shuffle.

Yes...you read that right.

SEVEN.

MILE.

SHUFFLE.

Today was a beautiful, sunny, warm (65 degree) day...so I went to the park with a 7 mile goal in mind.  I wasn't confident that I would make that goal, especially since it has been a week since I attempted to shuffle at all and roughly 2 weeks since my last good shuffle.

I decided I would run the roads this time, instead of the path, to change things up for muscles in my ankles and feet.  I was hopeful that the change would allow my lower legs to loosen properly and give my left leg a break so I wouldn't have the same issue I had last time.

After a good, long stretch at my car, I put on my scuba socks (thin, neoprene socks made to protect the feet while wearing fins) and walked around the parking lot to loosen up before I began.  I felt pretty good...no tightness at all in my left leg....so I began my shuffle.

The first part of the road I was on was a bit rough...(lots of little pebbles and the asphalt is broken in quite a few spots).  My socks did a great job keeping the tiny rocks from sticking to the bottom of my feet.  I started at a really slow pace...my legs felt great...my feet felt great.

Ok...I thought...here I go....the first steps towards seven miles!


Right away, my hydration belt began bouncing on my stomach.  (I don't carry any hydration in my belt...I carry my phone, my scuba socks, GU packets, Bandaids, and pepper spray.)  As I began to get annoyed of the bouncing on my stomach, I realized two things......

One....my form was off.  Running barefoot should be smooth...gliding...not bouncy.  Bouncing indicates that the large muscles in my legs are not taking all the force of my footfalls...my hips, knees, and back are.  I bent my knees slightly and tucked my hips under me....much smoother.

Two....and most exciting....my hydration belt was too big!!!!  I hadn't adjusted my belt....it just "grew"!!!  Once I realized this, I was thrilled to feel the bouncing of the belt!

One mile passed.....
then two.....
then three.....
and I felt amazing!
So amazing that I got chills!! (and not because I was cold!).
I felt strong...invincible.....in fact, I may have leapt a building or two in a single bound!!

I came to my turn around point....and didn't stop.

I just kept going....
Like Forest Gump...."I. Was. Running!"

I left the park and headed onto the road.  Conquered a few hills, then came to a point where I could no longer safely run without shoes (no berm wide enough to give me enough space between me and passing cars), so I turned around and headed back to the park.

Upon arriving back at the park, I stopped just long enough to eat a GU and throw away the wrapper.  I took my socks off and tucked them into my belt.  Having my feet bare on the ground gave me a renewed sense of energy and I began my barefoot shuffle back to my car.

This way was hard when you were riding your bike the other day...I thought to myself...you're not going to be able to shuffle this...you'll need to walk a while.

I pushed that thought out of my head and kept on...slow and steady.  After shuffling to the top of a couple hills I thought something that I have never thought before...

This. is. easier. than. biking!!

I got the chills again....and big, stupid grin on my face.
I'm certain I looked like a lunatic.

Strong, slow, and steady I shuffled on...I breathed in the smell of the pine trees and appreciated the contrast between the cool shade and warm sun on the bottom of my feet.

I shuffled for 1 hour and 28 minutes today....nonstop, except to eat GU and take off/put on my socks.

I ran a little over a 1/4 marathon today!

4 weeks ago, I couldn't run two miles straight....

What a difference one month makes!!



Slow and steady....











No comments:

Post a Comment