Friday, April 5, 2013

Keepin' it real......Scientific data: Week 1


Ok....so as much fun as this has been to entertain the masses with my clumsy attempts at better health, this blog was intended to track my "progress", first and foremost.

And...I cannot properly track my progress without keeping track of the scientific data that will get me into a thong by June......or something.......

So, without further adieu....and a LOT of deliberation about posting these......I give you.....my baseline pictures.....

Well.....kinda......

Minus my face.......

Do I really need to post my double chins?  Isn't my gut enough?

I think it's more than enough......


(Please look away if you are squeamish......you've been warned......)






No folks....these have not been Photoshopped or airbrushed....

This is the horror of stuffing a size 14 (16 maybe??) into a size 12....not pretty....and it is all to real.

Some of you may be running from the room, screaming (I really hope you weren't eating when you saw these)

.....and some may be thinking "Well...that's not so bad".

To the latter I say.....this is why I love you and keep you in my life!!

I look at this gut every morning without fail (as I posted in  a previous post)...I've watched it grow...and grow....

and grow....

It needs to stop.  Not just because of aesthetic reasons, but because I am unhealthy....

I have no scientific data to prove that...but my body would not lie.

My last physical checked out just fine...blood pressure....blood work...all normal....except....

My blood sugar.

During my last  blood test to check my Thyroid levels (I am on a small dose of Levothyroxine for hypothyroidism) I noticed that my blood sugar was 54.

The doctor said everything looked good on my results...but this 54 bothered me....

I know that's low.

But more than that....I think that has been my problem for a long time.  I ate breakfast before this test...waffles with maple syrup and milk...not an uncommon breakfast for me.  About an hour after I ate, my heart started pounding and I felt a little "off"....this had become a customary feeling for me...most mornings, after breakfast, this is how I felt.  In order to raise my blood sugar back up to "feeling normal" I'd have to, well, eat some more sugary stuff to get the quick benefits....so was the cycle before seeing the scientific data that what I was likely experiencing was reactive hypoglycemia....a condition where the food I eat causes my blood sugar to spike too high, thus stimulating my pancreas to produce too much insulin; consequently, dropping my blood sugar too low.  This spiking and dropping of blood sugar set up a pattern of unhealthy eating for the whole day, as I tried to get myself balanced.

This has been my cycle for a long time....

A cycle that could possibly lead to Type 2 Diabetes if I don't stop it....

My eating is still not perfect, by any means....but I have made one very crucial change....

I added protein and no more "whites" at breakfast.  A typical breakfast for me now is:  Whole wheat toast (usually with butter), 3 strips of turkey bacon, yogurt, and organic Green Chai Tea with honey.  It's much more than I would have eaten, but it doesn't seem to cause the huge spike in blood sugar, and  I feel full and satisfied...not craving more sugars to balance myself out.

In fact, I have made it a point to try to take in more protein throughout the whole day...it really seems to help stop the sugar cravings...though, they are not completely gone....

Ok...all that aside....here are some numbers for your reading pleasure:

Starting weight:  165
Current weight:  164.2
Number of miles shuffled:  18 miles (this is slightly high because I am taking into consideration the miles I've shuffled since beginning this blog...a little over a week ago)
Yoga:  x2
Pilates: x2
Stationary bike:  x2 (Total time:  1 hr)
Days until half-marathon:  71

Number of times vomited.....1
Number of days too sore to laugh...or walk.... A LOT!!
Number of times I was shone-up by my daughter:....at least twice
Number of swear words aimed at The Gazelle or The Ball: Too many to count

No comments:

Post a Comment