Tuesday, March 26, 2013

It's official....I'm fat

No joke.  According to the CDC's BMI calculator, I am sitting comfortably, right smack in the middle of the "overweight" range with a BMI of 27.  "Overweight" = a nice way of saying "fat" ...right?? Just a couple pounds away from "Obese" = a nice way of saying "dangerously fat".

It's really no surprise.  I have been steadily gaining weight for a while...having gone back to school and not working full time, I spend most of my days sitting...driving to and from school, sitting while studying...and of course, doing a lot of eating while sitting.

I love to eat...and sit.

This winter has been a looong one...cooped up in the house...eating...sitting....

I got on the scale today...I am 165lbs.  I am 5 foot 5.5 inches and am about 30-40 lbs overweight.  I am tired, unmotivated, frustrated, depressed and have been speeding along on this track for a while now.  I am officially way fatter than I have ever been.

As I near my 40th birthday, I realize that I have a choice to make. I can continue along on this very easy path of destruction to diabetes, heart disease, etc., etc...

Or I can put on the brakes and take a step in a different direction.

I plan to use this blog as a journal where I can document my journey to a (hopefully) better me.  I am hoping that I will someday re-read these earlier posts and say "Wow!!  I was a real wuss back then!!!!"  I have chosen to use my upcoming half-marathon as my goal to be chasing.  "They" say you need a goal to work towards...well, that's mine.

I have been debating whether or not to take some "before" pics and put them up here.  I feel like I should, but cant quite get up the nerve to do so.  I see it everyday in the mirror...do I really need to see it on here too?  Besides...don't pictures add 10 lbs?  And....what if my before pic looks BETTER than what I will look like by June 23rd...race day?

My fear is that come June, I will be wishing I had stuck to my quest to be healthier and stronger by race day.  I have a tendency of coming up with great ideas...starting them...then growing tired and bored of them (translation:  never finishing what I start).  In fact, I'll be really surprised if I ever post another blog again after this one!!

One day at a time...





No comments:

Post a Comment