Monday, July 22, 2013

Keepin' it Real: Scientific Data Week 16 (better late than never!)

6 pounds in one weekend!!!

SIX. POUNDS!!!!!

Six pounds gained, that is.

The last time I saw these numbers on the scale was on May 17th....8 weeks ago.  8 weeks of work to lose it.....3 days of gluttony to get it back.

Now, I am aware that these 6 horrible pounds are mostly water retention, but they are disheartening nonetheless.

Our weekend of binge-eating began innocently enough.  We had this trip to Cincinnati, to visit dear friends, planned for a couple months.  As the days neared, my husband and I came up with our strategy. We are well aware that when we get together with our friends we do an awful lot of eating...and very little moving.

Well....not this time!!!

We stopped at the grocery store and bought our family's weekends-worth of food, packed it in coolers, and brought it with us!  Yes!!!  I was still going to continue to be successful at my weight loss...even in Cincinnati!!  I even brought my water shoes so I could get my shuffle on!!

I weighed myself before we left....153.4...down almost a pound from the previous week!  I wasn't going to ruin my successful week!!

Well.....that frame of mind lasted about....oh.....2 hours.

On our 4 hour trip down, I made the mistake of opening a bag of chips....(which subsequently opened a whole can of worms).   Suddenly I had a mad craving for Caramel Cremes and begged my husband to buy some when he stopped for gas.
He bought 2 small bags....I devoured them both within minutes.

Caramel Cremes?  Really?  I haven't had those in probably a year.  Where in the world did that come from?

I don't know....but they were little morsels of heaven....

I told myself I could still adhere to my calorie allotment...I would just have to stick to the groceries that we packed.  I hadn't failed.....yet.

Then we got to our friend's house.....
"We brought groceries for our family!"  I told her...
"Oh...we went shopping for you all!" She said..."Look!  Jeff even bought your favorite!  Grater's Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream!"

(gulp.....Grater's Mint Chocolate Chip?!?!  Only THE greatest flavor that has ever laid upon my tongue!!)

Enter "crappy food" addiction, stage right...

"Oh my gosh!  That was so sweet of him!!"  I could have a little, then work it off during a shuffle...ok...still ok.....

"....and there's chips, and Double Stuff Oreos....and wine!" she continued

Oh. crap.
Double Stuff Oreos?!?!  Wine?!?!
Could I really control myself around this stuff??
I was beginning to doubt myself.....

"Yes, and tonight, I have a scientific experiment planned for us"  Jeff added later that evening....."I have here 5 different brands of Twinkie-type cakes...we are going to do a taste test to see which one everyone likes the best and to see who can correctly guess the brand!!"

"What on earth would possess you to come up with something like that?" I asked.

"I don't know"  he said as he walked to the pantry...."the same thing that possessed me to buy 6 different brands of powdered doughnuts for our scientific experiment tomorrow morning after breakfast!!" he smiled as he produced 6 bags of powdered doughnuts from the pantry.

(Yes...the doughnut experiment was in ADDITION to the large breakfast he had planned for us!!)

I knew then and there that I had been defeated.
I was both giddy with excitement and anticipation for the promised scientific experiments.....and disappointed in myself for not putting up ANY kind of fight for my health.

It was just ONE weekend!!  How much damage could I do in three short days??

Well....6 pounds of damage...that's how much.
I weighed myself when we got back home and I was 160 pounds.

Notice how FULL the fruit bowl is!!
(By the way...the Twinkie experiment took place around midnight that night....)

After-breakfast scientific experiment in progress....




As I stated before, I know much of this is water weight.  My feet were swollen much of the weekend from sitting so much and when I went out for my shuffle last night, EVERYTHING that bounced, hurt.  I felt like I needed to be wrung out like an old dish rag.....

I am praying that I can get back down to 153ish before my next Keepin' it Real this coming Friday...after all...it's picture day!  Yikes!!  I plan on working my butt off (literally) these next few days and getting back into logging my calories on MFP.  (I didn't log a single calorie this weekend...how do you log "whirl-wind" eating?!)

Ok.....number time.....

(Last) Week's numbers:

Beginning weight:  165
Last week's weight: 154.4
Friday's weight:  153.6
Last night's weight: 160
This morning's weight: 157 point something
Miles shuffled: 14
Miles shuffled in Cincinnati:  You guessed it.....0
Days until half marathon: 82


I've got a lot of work to do.......


No comments:

Post a Comment