Saturday, July 6, 2013

Keepin' it Real: Scientific Data Week 14

Ok...ok...so I'm a day late!  My sister has informed me that my "emergency post the other day does not absolve me from my weekly "Keepin' it Real" post!"...thanks for keeping me accountable! ;)
Better late than never, right?

I've had a pretty successful week.

I have faithfully logged my food and exercise into My Fitness Pal.  I am surprised at how using it has changed what I choose to eat.  But it has also helped me, I think, pinpoint why my heart has been racing at times...
I am not taking in nearly enough Potassium.
I thought, at first, that my racing heart (especially after breakfast) was due to a blood sugar spike and subsequent drop.  Though this may be the case, the other day I noticed that of the 3500 mg of Potassium MFP recommends I take in I might be taking in 1000 daily. Yikes!! Additionally, I have been doing A LOT of sweating this week!  I have run 3 or 4 times, cut the grass with the push mower (for 3 hours), and did the Pilates Reformer...trust me...I have soaked my clothes almost daily this week!!!
The other morning I planned to run after breakfast....I noticed my heart racing.  It didn't make any sense...I had not eaten any of the typical "white" foods that I think spikes my sugar, I took in plenty of fluids after cutting the grass the previous day...so why was my heart beating at 100 beats per minute? (My resting rate is usually 54-60 beats per minute).  I looked at my MFP log from the previous day and realized I took in almost ZERO Potassium (and most likely sweated out the Potassium I had in my body)!!  I know that in order for our nerves to fire (and hearts to beat) properly, we need a proper balance of Sodium and Potassium...I can honestly say I have NEVER in my life thought about my intake of Potassium...until now.  I ate a banana and within minutes my heart rate returned to the 60's.  Had I not seen my intake on MFP, I would have never suspected this was the problem....

I think that has been the most difficult thing to adjust to on this journey, is finding the right balance of calories and nutrients for ME.

On a different note:

On Thursay, I dug out one of my old (skinnier) pair of jeans...you know...the one's that get banished to the back corner of the closet with the hopes of someday being able to squeeze into them again!  They were size 10 (the one's I take pics in on the odd Keepin' it Real weeks are 12's).  They went on!!!  They were painted on and they gave me a bit of a wedgie.....but they went on!!!!!  Last time I tried, I couldn't even get them over my thighs!!!
Size 10


So tight, there was not even room for my underwear!!

Small victories :)


Though I have been feeling great and energetic, not all changes have been positive....I have found that all of this sweating has given me a wicked case of "backne" ....great big cysts on my back and chest and my face and neck have been breaking out as well.  Yes...I DO shower :) and am quick to remove my wet clothes after a workout....sigh.....



The Numbers:
Beginning weight:  165
Last week's weight:  155.4
Today's weight:  154.6 (10 lbs!!!)
(Yesterday's weight.....155.4)
(Today's weight before going to the bathroom and stepping on the scale 6 times....155.4)
(Hey!!! I worked too hard this week to be the same weight I was last week!!!!)
Miles shuffled:  14
NEXT HALF MARATHON:  October 13!!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment