Sunday, January 12, 2014

Trying something new

Being the first day in over a week where temperatures were above freezing, yesterday I began my attempt at training for our upcoming 20 miler.  I've decided to approach this in a different way.

In the past couple years, I've "trained" for races by running the most miles I could, as often as I could, while pushing myself to be as fast as I could.

Now I am going to try something different...for the sake of science and self-experimentation...(which I totally dig!....hence, running with no shoes on).

I am going to try to improve my shuffling endurance by using heart rate as my measurment of choice...not pace...not distance, for now.

I have this handy dandy little heart rate monitor that I thoroughly enjoyed using last summer.  I found it to be amusing (and sometimes frightening!) to see just how high I could get that sucker to register!  It syncs beautifully with my running app (Runtastic Pro) and has been relatively accurate, as far as I can tell.  So I figure, I might as well use the thing for the purpose for which it was intended instead of as a novelty.

Here's my method....
I estimated my maximum heart rate to be 200 beats per minute.  The standard...yet inaccurate...method of figuring MHR is subtracting your age from 220.  That would put my MHR at 180.  I know for certain that my old ticker can beat faster than that!!  I once registered a 195 at a 5k!  That being said, I just used 200 as an estimate of my max.  I know my resting is anywhere between 54 and 65.  I set my resting heart rate at 60.  Runtastic divides this range of heart rates into 5 Zones:

 

My goal is to shuffle for one hour in Zone 3 or 4.  Should I fall below Zone 3, I need to speed up.....should I reach Zone 5, I need to slow down/walk (let's face it.....I can't shuffle much slower!!!)  One hour.....regardless of pace or distance.  One hour within these two zones.  4-5 times per week.  That's my current goal.

I will log each shuffle for my reference and to gauge any (hopeful!!) improvement.

Has anyone else had success using just heart rate as a gauge?

5 comments:

  1. Heart rate is fine at first, but I have found that, over the last year, as I have improved in my running, the effort, measured by heart rate, I need to reach any given distance or speed changes with my improvement. ie. to run 5 miles at 10 min miles I used to have an average heart rate of 158. Now to run the same distance my heart rate would be 140. Therefore if I continue to run at the same heart rate each time I am putting in less and less effort in my training.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am hopeful that I'll see an improvement in my rates like you did! Yours are so nice and relaxed! I will eventually have to adjust the range which will readjust my zones and I can hopefully still work within those safer ranges while improving. One step at a time.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you need to get a HRM compatible with Runtastic or would it work with my Garmin HRM???

    ReplyDelete
  4. i use the Maffetone method for hr training. 180 minus your age and plus or minus a few beats depending on your health status. stick to it, clean up your diet, reduce stress, and get proper rest and you see results. sounds too easy but it really isn't. good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the suggestion! :) 180 minus my age would leave me with a 140 heart rate....I can get that just by doing the dishes!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete