Friday, January 17, 2014

Shuffler's Log #2 (Week of 1/11/14-1/17/14)

Monday, January 13, 2014
Kent State Rec Center
Begin: 18:10
End: 18:50

Total time:  40 mins (approx 30 mins total shuffling time)
Total distance:  Unknown (around 3.5 miles)
Avg. pace:  Unknown (est. 10 - 11 min/mile)

Weather conditions:  Well....it was cold, rainy, and dark...but I didn't mind!!  I was inside!!
Road conditions:  Hmmmm....assuming they were wet...and cold.....and dark...
Course:  KSU indoor track...flat....and round....and rubbery....and stinky....

Attire:  Running pants (ok...I really don't know...or care....what the technical term is for these tight, stretchy, black pants I run in.  I will just refer to them as my running pants and leave it at that); t-shirt; scuba shoes.
Comfort:  Yes

Overall feel of run:  Ok....this whole experience was a frustrating one.  I arrived in Kent after a way-too-long drive, due to traffic.  Then when I checked into the Rec Center, they denied my access.  After a long fiasco and a lot of wasted time, I hit the track.  I was hoping to get an hour in, but ran out of time before my class.  I was not happy!  Furthermore, I couldn't get wi-fi in there so my Runtastic/Heart rate app wouldn't record.  I usually don't enjoy running indoors or on a track....BOOORRRIIINNNGGG!!

.....and it was CROWDED!!!!!!  Like crazy crowded!  Crowded with tons of young college students... first day of semester....New Year's resolutions....lets-like-go-check-out-the-hot-guys-at-the-gym-because-like-we-get-free-access-to-them-just-because-like-we-are-students-here-but-be-sure-not-to-run-too-fast-because-like-we-may-mess-up-our-hair-and-sweat girls who checked themselves out in the windows that encircle the track....
(yep.....I'm old)

But, I digress....

The feel of my shuffle....was great.  I felt strong and comfortable...and dare I say, FAST?!  Though, it probably had more to do with my perception than my actual speed. But since I don't have the data to disprove it, I am going to say I was FAST this night!!!

In fact, the last couple laps I shuffled, I felt everything just click into place.  My legs really felt comfortable going fast!!  I felt like a freight train!!  I had to hold back the urge to do my best train whistle impression.....WOO-WOOOOOOOOO!!!!!  Not because I'd be embarrassed, but because I didn't have enough wind in me to even muster the first WOO.  Unfortunately, my heart and my legs are NOT on the same page!  My heart enjoys a comfortable 11-12 minute mile.....(ok....not really, but it will tolerate it).  But my legs enjoy the feel of a swifter stride...one in which my feet just lightly touch the ground to keep me afloat....I hope that my heart and legs get on the same page someday...

Physical discomfort:  None during the shuffle.  But that night and the next day my right foot hurt where I injured it in September.  It actually felt the same...I was pretty bummed out and nervous that I had re-injured it.  But it feels fine today (1/17) and I think it was just the stress of constant left turns on the track.  We'll see when I go out for my shuffle today how it is.

Oh yeah....and I really had to pee!!!

Cardiovascular discomfort:  When I felt myself reaching what I felt to be Zone 5 rates, I slowed down (I did not walk) my pace.  When I felt it had gone down to a more comfortable level, I sped up.  Only in my final freight train laps did I really feel truly out of breath and in Zone 5.

Psychological discomfort:  A. Lot.
Too many people....already irritated with the whole experience before I even set foot on the track (though I DID feel much better and really awake by the time I got to class!!  This being a late class, I usually feel really tired...but not this night :)  )....
...all I could think about while shuffling was that I was breathing in all these strangers' breath that they were breathing out (that's not an odd thought...is it??) and I was certain that I would end up with some communicable disease before night's end...perhaps I could wear my ski mask next time!

And I really had to pee!!! But my serious fear of stranger germs (especially strangers' sweaty butt germs!!) prevented me from taking care of business.  (As we all know, as we discovered in my August 9, 2013 post, I have a bit of a sweaty butt issue when I shuffle....I certainly do not want to mix my sweaty butt germs with another's sweaty butt germs, thus creating a super sweaty butt cocktail that might take root on my butt cheeks...and everyone knows that sweaty butt germs can penetrate even the toughest toilet paper barrier....and as we discovered in my October 14, 2013 post, I cannot hover...so this not an option for me)

....so.......I did not pee. I suffered through it and waited until I got to the building where my class is.  A building that I have taken hundreds of successful, non-communicable-disease-acquiring pees over the past 2 1/2 years....I trust that toilet. (and yes...I will only use one of them...I trust it....don't judge...)

2 comments:

  1. Loved this post!!!! Great job keeping with it! We are starting fresh!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Beth :) We WILL get back on track!

    ReplyDelete